Knees Chest Chin Pose, Ashtanga Namaskara, (ash-TAHN-gaa nah-muh-SKAR-uh)
ashta (eight) + anga (part or limb) + namaskara (bowing or geeting)
Also Known as: Salute with eight limbs, Eight Limbed, Ashtangasana, Salutation with Eight Limbs
Part of the classical Hatha Sun Salutation, Knees Chest Chin Pose is not just an alternative to Chaturanga, but an asana in its own right.
Knees Chest Chin Pose Fundamentals
Knees Chest Chin Pose also goes by another name: The Salute With Eight Limbs, a literal translation from the asana’s Sanskrit name.
But why Eight Limbs? The number comes from the number of points on your body that touch the ground: your feet, knees, hands, chin, and chest.
This asana can be a great preparatory pose for Four Limbed Staff Pose (Chaturanga Dandasana), or further arm balances.
Knees Chest Chin Pose Benefits
- Increases spinal mobility
- Strengthens the arms, shoulders, spine, and core
- Opens the chest
- Prepares you for further arm balances
How To Do The Knees Chest Chin Pose: Step-By-Step
How To Get There:
1. Start in Plank Pose, then drop your knees to the floor, keeping your toes curled under.
2. On an exhale, dive down, keeping your butt lifted and lowering your chest to the mat, followed by your chin. Keep your shoulders in line with your hands and your elbows tucked in to your sides.
Tips And Tricks:
- Take the pose slowly and mindfully, keeping your back engaged and feeling each of the eight body parts touch thr earth, one after another. Don’t flop down! You’ll lose the intricacies of this pose and risk hitting your chin on the mat.
- Keep your elbows tucked in, hugging your side body.
Precautions & Contraindications:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
If you suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, be mindful. It may be best to avoid this pose as it puts a significant amount of body weight through your wrists and forearms.
Neck, Shoulder, or Elbow Injuries:
If you are experiencing an injury in any of these areas, enter the pose with caution. Listen to your body, and exit the pose if you feel any pain.
For more in-depth asana resources, check out our free Yoga Pose Library. Here you’ll find complete guides to each and every yoga asana to deepen your yoga knowledge.
Each pose page features high-quality photos, anatomy insights, tips and tricks, pose instructions and queues, asana variations, and preparatory and counter poses.