“Opening your chakras and allowing cosmic energies to flow through your body will ultimately refresh your spirit and empower your life.” – Barbara Marciniak
Mystical, magical, brilliant and bright… A spinning disk of yellow light… Digestion, determination and willpower are key attributes of the third energy center – Manipura Chakra.
Let’s heat up the Solar Plexus Chakra and unpack:
History Of The Chakras
“The Seven Gods have seven spears and seven lights. They hold seven glories.” – Rig Veda 8.28.5 – Translated by David Frawley
Described in the Vedas, a large body of religious texts from ancient India which are thought to have been compiled between 1500 and 500 BC, and derived from the Sanskrit root cakra – chakra means “wheel” or “disk”.
Chakras are concentrated energy centers of the body, often visualized and depicted as spinning wheels of light.
The chakra system says that the human body consists not only of bones, tissues and organs, but also of energy fields layered around the physical being. These layers form the subtle body, or the energy body.
The Energy Channels That Run Through The Chakras
According to Eastern medicine, we have over 72,000 invisible channels called nadis circulating through our bodies. They carry life force energy, referred to as Prana in Indian systems and Chi in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM).
Prana is omnipresent and omnipotent, and continuously flows through three major nadis – which connect with the thousands of minor nadis to distribute prana throughout the whole body and beyond – along the spinal column.
The three main channels start at the base of the spine and ascend through the head.
- Sushumna Nadi – The central energy channel runs from the base of the spine to crown of the head.
- Ida Nadi – The lunar energy channel represents Yin, which is symbolic of the moon, the left side of body, the feminine.
- Pingala Nadi – The solar energy channel delineates Yang, noted as the sun, the right side, the masculine qualities.
Ida and Pingala Nadis crisscross each other as they spiral upwards and connect to opposite nostrils. Where Ida and Pingala intersect with each other and Sushumna, are the seven main chakras.
The chakras define cross sections of the physical human body, in the form of nerve plexuses, which house organ systems. And understanding where the gross anatomy fits into this seemingly esoteric chaos tends to open (third) eyes to the perfect organization, deeper magic and higher connections available when we unite with these inner sources that correspond to the elements out in the Universe.
Here they are:
- Muladhara Chakra – Root Chakra
- Svadhishthana Chakra – Sacral Chakra
- Manipura Chakra – Solar Plexus Chakra
- Anahata Chakra – Heart Chakra
- Vishuddha Chakra – Throat Chakra
- Ajna Chakra – Third Eye Chakra
- Sahastrara Chakra – Crown Chakra
Chakras are responsible for lovingly taking in, incorporating and emanating energy to keep us functioning at optimal levels. When a major or minor chakra in our energetic body is blocked, imbalanced, or not functioning properly, illness is more prone to occur – physically, psychologically and spiritually.Well-being on all levels can affect and is affected by the chakras.
Not taking in enough energy, through proper nourishment of the mind, body and soul, may lead to or be caused by depression. By bypassing feelings such as anger, or not speaking our truth, we may be unconsciously impeding healthy energy flow.
Physically, each chakra governs specific organs of the body which come along with hormones and emotions…
When chakras are constricted, blocked or too open, organs don’t operate effectively which contributes to disease, fluctuating energy levels, emotional imbalances, negative thought patterns and general lack of well-being.
Working with the chakra system is tapping into external and internal forces so that we may feel and function our best, in harmony with the world around and within us. The ancient yogis understood that to change our life, we have to effect change from within. One way to alter our inner reality is working with the chakras.
What is the Solar Plexus Chakra?
Manipura – the Sanskrit name for the Solar Plexus Chakra – translates to:
Mani – jewel
Pura – city or place
Or – “City of Jewels” or “Lustrous Gem” or “Resplendent Gem”
The Solar Plexus – also called the Navel Chakra – is all about personal power, protection, ambition, intellect, compassion, responsibility… Located in the stomach, just above the belly button and below the breastbone, Manipura is associated with the color yellow and the Fire element. The third energy center in the body unites us with the sun.
Manipura is the physical body’s energy powerhouse, our source of willpower. The digestive system, metabolism are governed here, as are personal identity, individual will and expression of them. We are empowered by transformative energy when consciousness moves freely in this center.
When meditating upon or conjuring the properties of this Chakra, I actually sense warmth emanating from it, through me, illuminating the space surrounding me. It’s a powerful point of contemplation, especially for when you need a boost of confidence!
Solar Plexus Chakra Symbol
Each chakra symbol has a color associated with it, and other geometric elements inside and outside of the sacred circle. In some artwork, the Sanskrit bija mantra of the chakra is depicted in the center. A unique number of lotus petals always encases the entire symbol.
The center just above the navel, the Solar Plexus Chakra, associated with the element of Fire, is linked not only to determination but expressing it – in any form. The symbol illustrates the characteristic fiery energy of Manipura.
- The inverted triangle represents the fire element and transformative power – fire turns matter into energy that can be harnessed for forward momentum.
- The upside-down triangle is also seen as a convergence of the energy of the lower chakras rising up to the higher chakras.
- Ten lotus petals link to the ten Pranas (directions or types of energy manipulation) in the body.
- Often the petals are depicted in the color of blue flames while the rest of the symbol is yellow.
In Your Solar Plexus Balanced or Blocked?
Symptoms Of A Balanced Solar Plexus Chakra
When the Solar Plexus Chakra is balanced we know who we are and why we’re here. A balanced Solar Plexus Chakra empowers our spirit of Self, allows us to feel comfortable and confident in ourselves and our capacity to contribute to the greater good.
- Authenticity – in who we are and what we do
- Confidence – through all aspects of life
- Self-Responsibility – listen to our intuition
- Self-Discipline – so we can stand in our power
Someone with a balanced Manipura feels empowered, has a sense of purpose, sets healthy boundaries, listens to their intuition and is highly determined. Their digestion is excellent and their relationships with others are strong. They are playful, work hard, and allow themselves to experience pleasure and joy. They are likely to come across as strong willed without being bullish.
Symptoms Of A Blocked Solar Plexus Chakra
Interestingly, many people who are relatively balanced in the higher chakras are off-kilter in the lower ones. This can stem from beliefs deeply engrained during upbringing through an array of potential first chakra quakes throughout childhood and into adulthood.
The Chakras spin and attract energy that is on the same frequency, and in turn sends it back out – like attracts like.
The more positive energy a chakra consumes, the more positive energy it releases and the more positivity it magnetizes back. However, the same goes for negativity.
Presence and awareness are crucial when it comes to beginning to unblock, attracting and manifesting.
- Lack of direction, willpower, drive, sense of self
- Aggression, anger, shame
- Fearful, low courage
- Control issues
- Poor digestion, stomach ulcers
As with the other energy centers, the two main reasons you may have blockages in the Solar Plexus Chakra are due to an overactive or under-active flow of energy (prana) which may cause the following indications of imbalance:
- Mental – overly strong urge to control, anxiety, lacking determination, playing/feeling the victim
- Emotional – extreme neediness, excessive desire for control, loss of confidence, low self-esteem, eating disorders
- Physical – digestive issues (constipation, diarrhea), adrenal issues, pancreas issues, abdominal pain, back pain, gallbladder problems
How To Heal Your Solar Plexus Chakra
Solar Plexus Chakra Healing Stones
Everything in the universe has a vibrational frequency, including crystals and gemstones.
Crystals carry healing properties that connect to each chakra – and the elements within that resonate with that outside of us – uniquely. Stones hold vibrational energy that resonate with our energy centers to heal the body, mind, and soul.
Gemstones are believed to have a host of physical health benefits, such as reducing anxiety, blood pressure, chronic pain, and a lowering chances of disease. Emotional trauma, negative thoughts and energies are also thought to be released by working with stones.
So, let’s figure out which stone to use and how to use it!
Solar Plexus Chakra Crystals
Citrine, Tigers Eye, Amber, Yellow Cecile, Topaz, Yellow Jasper, Yellow Apatite.
Some believe that your stone will speak to you – notice if you feel a different vibration when holding a specific stone in your hand or near your Chakra. Or choose one from this list that you find beautiful!
How to use healing stones for the Third Chakra
- Meditate: Hold the stone in your hand, or place it on or near the body part associated with this Chakra. Repeat a mantra or the seed sound (see below) to amplify balancing energies.
- Decorate: Place the stones around your home to fill your personal space with balancing energy.
- Wear: Keep stones in your pocket or bag, or wrap a stone in wire or string to wear as a necklace, bracelet, ring or earrings.
Solar Plexus Essential Oils
It is said that essential oils can restore balance to the Chakras – aromatherapy oils too have a vibration and hold frequency. Apply them to pulse points, anoint the Chakra location, put a few drops in the bath or a diffuser. Here are some to consider.
- Lavender: Nourishes all the chakras and is especially calming during times of anxiety. Ylang Ylang, Lemongrass and Helichrysum are also excellent for sweetening up the Solar Plexus Chakra.
- Black Pepper: This scent can help transform rigid patterns and mental concepts. It also may alleviate feelings of shame and victimhood.
- Sandalwood: Excellent for centering and balancing. Myrrh and Atlas Cedarwood are also wonderful woodsy scents to spice up the Solar Plexus Chakra.
Solar Plexus Chakra Mantras
Each energy center has a one-syllable Bija, or seed, mantra that activates its vitality and inner power. Chanting the mantra can alter, purify and harmonize the flow of energy.
Focus your awareness on the physical location of the Chakra as you chant its bija mantra to feel connected, joyful and radiant.
Solar Plexus Chakra bija mantra: Ram
Solar Plexus Affirmations
Affirmations are positive statements that can help you challenge and overcome negative thoughts, encourage yourself, boost self-esteem, self-worth, relieve anxiety, increase self-love, and expand upon the tangible as well as the mystical properties of the chakras.
There are positive affirmations to help access and elevate willpower, endurance, your sense of security, connection with nature and stability with wellness including physical, mental and emotional health, spirituality… Even finances!
How to choose an affirmation
Simply choose an existing affirmation that resonates with you in the moment – reading it feels like a cuddle or elicits an emotional response or inspiration. Or create one for yourself – this may come to you intuitively, or you might be inspired by ours.
The affirmations here are only suggestions. Please feel free to add affirmations that feel empowering, leave behind those that do not, or come up with your own!
Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations
Solar Plexus Chakra affirmations can help heal and activate the energy center that provides your determination and amplifies your sense of personal power. By powering your intentions through affirmations, this chakra can be balanced and allow more alignment in life – internal and external.
Practice these Solar Plexus Chakra affirmations to elevate your energy, accept others, and improve your drive, strength, digestion and courage. Self-confidence and collaboration in relationship can be positively, profoundly affected by working with Solar Plexus Chakra affirmations.
Basic Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmations
- I am strong.
- I am in flow.
- I am powerful and brave.
- I know and trust myself.
- I honor myself.
- I am unlimited.
- I trust in love and life.
How to practice Solar Plexus Chakra affirmations
Everyone’s style varies – according to body type, time available, emotional and energetic needs, state of mind – and it’s likely that your choices will evolve through the short and long seasons of life pending how you’re feeling and what you’re seeking.
Here are some loose guidelines and tips to get started. Feel free to experiment and cuddle accordingly to suit your needs!
- To practice Solar Plexus Chakra meditation, find a sweet spot – many prefer a quiet place.
- Get comfortable, like you would for meditation – seated or lying down, with the spine as straight as possible.
- Focus on the space just above the navel – the location of the Solar Plexus Chakra. You might roll a little (seated cat-cows or belly dancer’esque motion in the upper abdomen) to help hone in on Manipura. See if you can find and feel a sense of heat.
- Breathe. Consider trying sama vritti – often called equal or coherent breathing – where the length of the exhalation matches the length of the inhalation. No prescribed count, your own pace, rolling circularly from inhale to exhale and back again.
- Read your chosen affirmation over and over, committing it to memory if possible. Perhaps eventually softening your gaze or closing your eyes, if that feels safe, as you continue to say it aloud or silently.
- As you repeat the affirmation, visualize the translucent yellow color of the Solar Plexus Chakra and imagine it flowing into your energy center. This may appear as an expansion of the color from the center through your body into the space around you, or an increase in vibrancy or saturation, with your inhalation, followed by the color shrinking back to a small point or soft glow with the contraction of your exhalation.
- Truly, deeply engage – immerse in the sensation of the feeling of the words of the Solar Plexus Chakra affirmation.
Solar Plexus Yoga Poses
Chakra Yoga can be a handy tool to tune into your Solar Plexus. Some asanas include:
- Boat Pose (Navasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Crescent Pose / Low Lunge Pose (Anjaneyasana)
- Half Lord of the Fishes Pose (Ardha Matsyendrasana)
- Chair Pose (Utkatasana)
- Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
- Camel Pose (Ustrasana)
- Dolphin Pose (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
Solar Plexus Pranayama
Kapalabhati pranayama or breath of fire is a fantastic breathwork technique for tapping into your inner power and activating your Solar Plexus. Commonly practiced as part of Kundalini yoga, this technique involves:
- Inhale deeply through your nose, expanding the lungs fully.
- Exhale quickly and forcefully through your nose by contracting your abdominal muscles. Focus on the exhale; let the inhale happen naturally.
- Establish a rhythmic pace, aiming for around 1-2 exhalations per second.
- Practice for about 1-5 minutes initially, gradually extending the duration over time.
During your practice, you can hold your hands in a mudra to further tap into your Sacral Chakra. Consider Hakini Mudra.
When your third center is aligned, you’ll be able to access empowering energy, and tap into your fiery side. You will discover the source of everything – happiness included – comes from within rather than somewhere or something external, and you will be proud of yourself and your contributions to the world. Working with your Solar Plexus Chakra can help you to reignite areas of your life that need some heat and set you free to create, express and be happy!
If you enjoyed this, check out this article on the Three Best Yoga Poses for Each Chakra!