Yoga is a powerful practice that not only strengthens and stretches your body but also helps harmonize your mind, body, and spirit.
One way to foster and enhance this harmony is by working with your chakras — the energy centers within your body.
In this article, we will explore 21 yoga poses for chakras, with three poses for each chakra, to help balance and activate these vital energy centers as well as:
- Basics of the 7 Chakras
- 21 yoga poses for chakras
- Other practices beyond yoga poses for chakras
- A Practice with Yoga Poses for Chakras
Basics of the 7 Chakras
The chakras are energy centers in the body that are associated with different aspects of our physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
Each chakra has a specific color, sound, and element associated with it, and through these elements, we can tap into and balance the energy within us.
Yoga poses for chakras are a great tool to balance them.
The seven chakras are:
|Root Chakra (Muladhara)||Red||LAM||Earth|
|Sacral Chakra (Svadhisthana)||Orange||VAM||Water|
|Solar Plexus Chakra (Manipura)||Yellow||RAM||Fire|
|Heart Chakra (Anahata)||Green||YAM||Air|
|Throat Chakra (Vishuddha)||Blue||HAM||Ether|
|Third Eye Chakra (Ajna)||Indigo||OM||Light|
|Crown Chakra (Sahasrara)||Violet||Silence||Spirit|
21 yoga poses for chakras
1# Yoga Poses for Chakras: Root (Muladhara)
The Root Chakra is associated with grounding, stability, and a sense of security.
Some of the best yoga poses for chakras, and particularly Muladhara are:
- 1 – Mountain Pose (Tadasana): this foundational yoga asana helps to enhance feelings of stability and grounding, which are essential for balancing the root chakra. By standing tall and rooted through the feet, the pose allows us to connect with the earth and cultivate a sense of security.
- 2 – Warrior II Pose (Virabhadrasana II): The warrior poses, including Warrior 2, encourage an open and upright posture, which is associated with a healthy and balanced root chakra. By practicing this pose regularly, you can develop a strong and supportive foundation, both physically and energetically.
- 3 – Garland Pose (Malasana): Malasana requires you to have an open and grounded pelvis. When you do this shape often, you may start to release tension in the hips and lower back, which are common areas where stress and anxiety accumulate. As you release this tension, you create space for energy to flow freely.
2# Yoga poses for Chakras: Sacral (Svadhishtana)
The Sacral Chakra is associated with creativity, passion, and sexuality. Some of the best poses for this chakra are:
- 1 – Cat-Cow Pose (Marjaryasana-Bitilasana): The sacral chakra is closely connected to emotions and creativity, and Cat-Cow Pose creates gentle compression and expansion of the belly, stimulating the organs in this area. As a result, any emotions or stagnant energy held in the sacral chakra may start to release, allowing for emotional healing.
- 2 – Goddess Pose (Utkata Konasana): This pose helps to cultivate a deeper connection with your body and yourself. It can enhance feelings of sensuality and pleasure, further balancing the sacral chakra. You may gain a greater appreciation for your body, embrace your sensuality, and feel more confident in your own skin.
- 3 – Pigeon Pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana)Pigeon Pose stretches the hip flexors and deep gluteal muscles. By releasing any stored emotions or tension in these areas, it helps to unblock the sacral chakra, allowing for a harmonious flow of creative energy.
3# Yoga poses for Chakras: Solar Plexus (Manipura)
The solar plexus is often linked to personal power, self-esteem, and confidence. It is believed to be the center of emotions, identity, and personal strength.
- 1 – Boat Pose (Navasana): This pose focuses on core strength and balance, stimulating the solar plexus chakra. By engaging the abdominal muscles, it activates Manipura, promoting confidence, power, and self-esteem.
- 2 – Camel Pose (Ustrasana): By opening the chest and stretching the front of the body, Camel Pose stimulates the solar plexus chakra. This pose helps release any stagnant energy, promotes inner courage, and encourages vulnerability and self-expression.
- 3 – Plank Pose (Phalakasana): Plank Pose strengthens the core, activating the solar plexus chakra. The pose creates a strong foundation, enhancing self-discipline and willpower. It fosters a sense of ambition, determination, and personal strength.
4# Yoga poses for Chakras: Heart (Anahata)
- 1 – Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana): This pose helps in opening the heart chakra by stretching the chest, shoulders, and neck. It stimulates the heart and increases blood circulation, promoting feelings of love, compassion, and empathy.
- 2 – Fish Pose (Matsyasana): Matsyasana balances Anahata by stretching the chest and throat, creating space for energy to flow freely. It stimulates the heart center, releases tension, and cultivates self-compassion and forgiveness.
- 3 – Puppy Pose (Anahatasana): This asana targets the heart chakra directly by opening and stretching the chest and upper back. It helps to release any tension or tightness in the heart area, promotes emotional healing, and enhances feelings of love, gratitude, and connection.
5# Yoga poses for Chakras: Throat (Vishudda)
- 1 – Legs up the wall (Viparita Karani): This restorative pose helps to calm the mind and relax the neck and throat area. By reversing the flow of energy, it can create a harmonizing effect on the throat chakra, promoting a sense of ease and balance.
- 2 – Shoulder Stand (Sarvangasana): It helps activate the throat chakra by stimulating and energizing the thyroid gland. Placing the body upside-down increases blood flow to the throat region, promoting balance.
- 3 – Plow Pose (Halasana): Plow pose effectively stretches the neck and back, stimulating the throat chakra. It increases blood flow to the region, nourishing the throat and enhancing the flow of energy.
6# Yoga poses for Chakras: Third Eye (Ajna)
The third eye chakra is associated with intuition and higher consciousness:
- 1 – Child’s Pose (Balasana): This pose gently stimulates the third eye chakra by increasing blood flow to the forehead. Resting the forehead on the ground in Child’s Pose helps calm the mind, enhances introspection, and encourages connection with inner wisdom.
- 2 – Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): In this inversion pose, fresh oxygenated blood flows to the head, helping to activate and balance the third eye chakra. The increased blood circulation improves mental clarity, sharpness, and focus.
- 3 – Standing Forward Fold (Uttanasana): It increases blood flow to the brain while the head is in a position that stimulates the third eye. It can also help to alleviate mental fatigue, instill clarity, and create a sense of introspection.
7# Yoga poses for Chakras: Crown (Sahasrara)
- 1 – Lotus Pose (Padmasana): This seated pose helps to create a sense of calm and deep meditation, allowing the crown chakra to open and connect with higher consciousness. It encourages more energy flow within the body and a harmonious connection with the universe.
- 2 – Headstand (Sirsasana): By bringing the head below the heart headstand it increases blood flow to the crown, enhancing spiritual connectedness and clarity.
- 3 – Savasana (Corpse Pose): By letting go of tension and surrendering the body and mind, this asana allows the crown chakra to open and align you with the universal energy. It promotes a sense of peace, tranquility, and deep spiritual connection.
Other practices beyond yoga poses for chakras
Together with the yoga poses for chakras, it is important to incorporate a holistic approach that includes breathwork, meditation, and self-reflection to achieve overall chakra balance.
One of the other practices for each chakra to further deepen your experience is the use of affirmations.Here is one for each chakra:
- Root – “I am safe and secure. I trust in the abundance of life.“
- Sacral – “I express my emotions freely and joyfully. I embrace my creative power.“
- Solar Plexus – “I am confident and empowered. I use my power for good.“
- Heart – “I give and receive love unconditionally. My heart is open and filled with compassion.”
- Throat – “I speak my truth with love and clarity. My voice is powerful, and I express myself authentically.”
- Third Eye – “I trust my intuition and inner wisdom. I have clarity and insight into all situations.“
- Crown – “I am connected to the divine and infinite intelligence. I am guided and supported in all aspects of life.“
A Practice with Yoga Poses for Chakras
For a practice filled with yoga poses for chakras that is relaxing and accessible, try this Youtube class:
Practicing yoga poses for the chakras can greatly enhance our physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
By focusing our attention on each individual chakra and stimulating its energy flow, we can unlock the untapped potential within us and experience a deeper sense of connection and wholeness.
Learn more about chakras here.