Feeling shaky, ungrounded, insecure? Seeking safety – physically, materially, emotionally, spiritually? These may be signs that your first energy center could use some attention – and Root Chakra Affirmations might do the trick!
Affirmations are positive statements that can help you challenge and overcome negative thoughts, encourage yourself, boost self-esteem, relieve anxiety, increase self-love, and expand upon the tangible as well as the mystical properties of the chakras.
Repeating affirmations can help you harness the power of your emotions – even the seemingly negative ones like anxiety and fear – and put them to positive use.
Truly believing what you’re affirming is crucial to change-making magic and effectiveness.
To deep dive into what affirmations are, how and why they work, and where they fit into the chakra system, this article is a good place to start:
In this article, we’ll unpack:
- The Root Chakra
- Indications of a balanced Root Chakra
- Root Chakra blockages and symptoms
- When and how to rock Root Chakra affirmations
- Root Chakra Affirmations
What is the Root Chakra?
Muladhara – the Sanskrit name for the Root Chakra – translates to:
- Mula – “root”
- Adhara – “support” or “base”
Muladhara is the first energy center in the body. It is where your very basic needs and survival instincts reside. Located at the base of the spine, the Root Chakra is associated with the color red and the Earth element.
The Root Chakra is the foundation for the entire chakra system. When balancing the chakras, Muladhara should be prioritized.
Indications of a Balanced Root Chakra
When basic needs – such as food, water, security and safety – are met, the Root Chakra is in balance and one experiences feelings of:
Someone with a balanced Muladhara is likely to come across as confident but not arrogant, and feel energetic, stable, physically strong, clear in thought, centered, and ready for life’s adventures.
Root Chakra Blockages
Survival, security, and stability are the key attributes of the Root Chakra.
The timeline of establishing alignment, or unfortunately often the opposite, for this foundational energy center, is from the womb to twelve months of age. Parents, or primary caregivers, are instrumental during the formation of Muladhara Chakra during this initial phase of living and are strong determinants of our first energy center’s wellbeing.
Big questions – such as, “who am I?” and “how do I fit into this world?” – are being answered at an instinctual level very early in life and largely determine whether one will build a stable foundation or program fear-based belief systems into the root of being.Many people – even those who are relatively balanced in the higher chakras – are off-kilter in the base. This can stem from beliefs deeply engrained during upbringing through an array of potential first chakra quakes throughout childhood and into adulthood.
The chakras spin and attract energy that is on the same frequency, and in turn sends it back out – like attracts like. The more positive energy a chakra consumes, the more positive energy it releases and the more positivity it magnetizes back. However, the same goes for negativity.
Presence and awareness are crucial when it comes to unblocking, attracting, and manifesting.
Symptoms of Root Chakra blockage:
- Mental – Immense worry, varying degrees of laziness, insecurity, poor focus, feelings of insecurity, lack of trust in others, allowing anger to spiral and grow.
- Emotional – Depression, anxiety, fearfulness, low self-esteem, excessive negativity, feeling of being abandoned, co-dependency, a tendency to cling to surrounding people for hope, support or care.
- Physical – Lethargy, sluggishness or restlessness, colon pain, constipation, sciatica, lower back pain, hemorrhoids, prostate issues or menstrual cramps.
Root Chakra Affirmations can Help
There are affirmations to help access and elevate willpower, endurance, your sense of security, connection with nature, and stability with wellness including physical, mental, and emotional health, spirituality… Even finance!
How to choose an affirmation
Simply choose an existing affirmation that resonates with you in the moment – reading it feels like a cuddle or elicits an emotional response or inspiration. Or create one for yourself – this may come to you intuitively, or you might be inspired by ours.
The affirmations here are only suggestions. Please feel free to add affirmations that feel empowering, leave behind those that do not, or come up with your own!
How to practice Root Chakra affirmations
Everyones’ style varies – according to body type, time available, emotional and energetic needs, state of mind – and it’s likely that your unique choices will evolve through the short and long seasons of life pending how you’re feeling and what you’re seeking.
Here are some loose guidelines and tips to get started. Feel free to experiment and cuddle accordingly to suit your needs!
- To practice Root Chakra meditation, find a sweet spot – many prefer a quiet place.
- Get comfortable, like you would for meditation – seated or lying down, with the spine as straight as possible.
- Focus on the base of the spine – the location of the Root Chakra. You might consider the ground, floor, cushion, chair, etc on which you sit as representative of the Earth. Notice the way that your Earth, actual or implied, presses up in support just as much as you ground down upon it.
- Breathe. Consider trying sama vritti – often called equal or coherent breathing – where the length of the exhalation matches the length of the inhalation. No prescribed count, your own pace. Or try box breathing, where the inhale, pause during internal retention, exhale, and pause during external retention all match in duration – start with a count of four and build up.
- Read your chosen affirmation over and over, committing it to memory if possible. Perhaps eventually softening your gaze or closing your eyes, if that feels safe, as you continue to say it aloud or silently.
- As you repeat the affirmation, visualize the red, earthy color of the Root Chakra and imagine it flowing into your energy center. This may appear as an expansion of the color from the center across the surface upon which you sit, or an increase in vibrancy or saturation, with your inhalation, followed by the color shrinking back to a small point or soft glow with the contraction of your exhalation.
- Truly, deeply engage – immerse in the sensation of the feeling the words of the affirmation elicit.
- Tip – if you need a little extra to amp your concentration, try chanting the seed mantra for the Root Chakra: LAM.
52 Root Chakra Affirmations
Root chakra affirmations can help heal and activate the energy center that provides your sense of survival, stability, confidence, and security, and strengthen the base for the rest of the chakra system. By powering your intentions through affirmations, this chakra can be balanced allowing more alignment in life – internal and external.
Practicing these Root Chakra affirmations can elevate your energy, strengthen your willpower and build your endurance. You may experience an increased sense of security and a stronger connection with nature and all there is around you.
General wellness, mental health, spirituality and financial stability can all be positively, profoundly affected by working with Root Chakra affirmations.
6 Basic Root Chakra Affirmations
- I am taken care of.
- I am safe.
- I am grounded.
- I am financially secure.
- I’m always provided for.
- I trust myself and others.
13 Root Chakra Affirmations for Safety and Security
- I am powerful.
- I have protection.
- I am confident to be myself.
- I am safe and secure everywhere, with everyone, all the time.
- I choose to spend time with people who nurture me emotionally.
- The Universe always protects me.
- The people in my life love me and want the best for me.
- I have healthy boundaries that protect and empower me.
- Those around me bring out the best in me.
- I trust life, even when I don’t understand it.
- Life amazes me everyday.
- I believe in my ability to get through tough times.
- I am resilient.
8 Root Chakra Affirmations for Abundance
- I belong.
- I trust in the good of the world.
- I make choices from a place of love, not fear.
- I am financially secure.
- I have more than enough time, creativity and money.
- I am circulating money in a positive way.
- I am proud of my accomplishments.
- I am part of something greater than myself.
11 Root Chakra Affirmations for Humility
- I am good enough as I am.
- I accept and love all aspects of myself.
- I’m able to ask for help.
- I can laugh at myself.
- I am in control of my ego.
- Criticism is an opportunity to learn and improve myself.
- I admit when I’m wrong without shaming myself or others.
- I believe that helping one person helps us all.
- I am curious and flexible in thought.
- I’m a great listener.
- I learn and grow everyday.
14 Root Chakra Affirmations for Healing Old Wounds
- I am worthy.
- I am free to express how I feel.
- I am honest, and others are honest with me.
- I am loved unconditionally.
- My needs, feelings and emotions are valid.
- I am allowed to speak up.
- I’m allowed to struggle.
- It’s ok to not be ok all the time.
- It’s normal to need help, and it’s safe to ask for it.
- I don’t always need others’ approval.
- Others’ opinions of me don’t define me.
- My worth is not tied to others’ opinions of me.
- I’m proud of myself.
- Feelings are never right or wrong. They just are.
Choose affirmations that feel meaningful for you, and repeat them regularly. Continue to work with your chosen affirmation(s) until you intuitively feel ready for a new one.
Consistency is key, so choose a few (no more than three) affirmations to use daily. You can either set aside a specific time to meditate with your affirmation(s), or you can repeat them silently in your mind as you go about your day.
Really tune into the words you’re saying, and trust that you will feel the energy they carry as you become who you wish to be. When used regularly, Root Chakra affirmations are potent mantras – medicine for grounding and self-empowerment.
To align your entire chakra system, check out this Complete Guide to Chakra Yoga!